Washington Real Estate
History of Washington, NC: “This is what a morning looks like from the town docks on the Pamlico River in Washington, North Carolina. I must say, the girl looks great for her age.
It was founded in the year 1776. They named it after a man who was already establishing a reputation as a great American. He later became known as the Father of Our Country and had a much larger town named in his honor, but for the historical record, the little port city of Washington, North Carolina claimed his name before anyone else.
North Carolina’s “Inner Banks” are blessed with beauty – broad rivers that have seen the centuries come and go, stretching their arms wide through a green world of tobacco, old oaks and pine on their way to the sea.
Places like Washington embrace the past as an act of love. With a deep bow of respect to all who came before them, they survive to remind us that new isn’t always best, and that true beauty knows no age.”
Washington, NC is commonly known as The Original Washington, or Little Washington and is a city in Beaufort County, North Carolina, located on the northern bank of the Pamlico River. It is the county seat of Beaufort County. The closest major city is Greenville, approximately 20 miles to the west. Established in 1776 on land donated by Col. James Bonner, Washington is the first city named after George Washington, the first president of the United States.
This mid-sized rural town has been called the “Heart of the Inner Banks”. It has a range of historical buildings and landmarks that add to its architectural interest, with some dating back to colonial times. A self-guided Historic Walking Tour allows visitors to explore the neighborhoods. Homes of Victorian design, Arts and Crafts, and traditional early-20th century dwellings stand side-by-side on sidewalks lined with crepe myrtle trees. Condominiums and townhouses have been constructed on the city’s waterfront to bring residents back to the river, the town’s starting place. A Farmer’s and Artisan’s Market is held regularly on the town’s green areas on the waterfront.